Map


Montenegro

2018-11-24 - 2018-11-30
Total distance: 146 km
Cumulative distance: 2584 km

We spent only six days in this small, but mountainous country. From the Croatian border, we continued following the coast for a while, into the Bay of Kotor, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. From Kotor, we headed across the mountains to Cetinje, the historic capital of Montenegro, and then to Podgorica, the current capital. From there, we then entered Albania, passing by Skadar Lake, a large lake on the border of both countries.


Articles

Mountain-egro

2018-12-03

We had a very rainy start to our stay in Montenegro. It started raining when we arrived in Herceg Novi, our first stop in the country, and then it mor

→ Continue reading

Photos

Best All
Forte Mare fortress as seen from the harbour in Herceg Novi Clock tower at the entrance to the Old Town in Herceg Novi Church of St. Michael the Archangel, a Serbian Orthodox church, on the Belavista Square in Herceg Novi Old Town The island of Gospa od Škrpjela, or Our Lady of the Rocks, is one of two islets off the coast Perast in the Bay of Kotor and is an artificial islet. The Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of the Rocks is the largest building on the islet. According to legend, the islet was formed over the centuries by local seamen who threw a rock into the bay upon return from each successful voyage. The custom of throwing rocks into the sea is alive even today, during the event of fašinada held on 22 July every year, continuously widening the surface of the islet. Sveti Đorđe Island, or the Island of St. George, is one of two islets off the coast Perast in the Bay of Kotor and is a natural island, unlike its neighbouring island. The island contains the St. George Benedictine Monastery. Perast, a village built entirely in baroque style and set into the steep mountainsides of the Bay of Kotor, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. On the left are the islets of Our Lady of the Rocks and St. George. The Sea Gate of 1555, the main entrance into Kotor Old Town St. Tryphon's Cathedral, that contains the remains of St. Tryphon, the patron saint of Kotor, is one of the oldest churches in Europe, consecrated in 1166 The baroque palace Grgurina, now housing the Maritime Museum St. Luke's Church in in Kotor Old Town. Constructed originally in 1195 as a Catholic church, the church contained both Catholic and Orthodox altars from 1657 to 1812, holding services from both faiths, and was thereafter gifted to the Orthodox Church. Kotor Old Town and the Kotor Bay Church of Our Lady of Remedy, perched on the mountainside overlooking Kotor The Gurdić Bastion and Gate on the southern end of the Kotor Old Town The Town Clock Tower on the Square of Arms The steep mountainsides rising above Kotor, with the Church of Our Lady of Remedy visible on the slope Kotor Old Town, seen from the beginning of the Serpentine Road. Later, we would see the mountains behind Kotor from above... View from the Serpentine Road onto Tivat and the Bay of Tivat, the outernmost bay of the Bay of Kotor This dog followed us from Kotor all the way up to Njeguši, despite our attempts to shoo it away for its own good. Only quite a while after we arrived, when it was already dark, did Heiko manage to chase it away. We don't know if it then ran all the way back down... We stayed in a small traditional Montenegrin stone house in Njeguši that we found on Airbnb We stayed in a small traditional Montenegrin stone house in Njeguši that we found on Airbnb

Page 1 | 2